Saturday, August 8, 2015

#RPGaDAY2015 Day 8: Favorite appearance of RPGs in the Media

My favorite appearance of RPGs in the media is a tie between the Community AD&D episode and the old film Cloak and Dagger.  The Community episode made some great jokes about D&D and gamers while still unabashedly showing its love for D&D.  The jokes about Chang in Drow makeup are hilarious, and the episode just keeps getting funnier from there.




Cloak and Dagger is a film that I saw as a kid.  It opens with a boy playing a secret agent role playing game.  What really struck me about this film was that the rpg portrayed in the film wasn’t a fantasy game.  Role playing is synonymous with the fantasy genre for so many people, and seeing a movie show a spy rpg was groundbreaking to my childhood brain.  Also, I loved the scene where the main character is attacked by giant polyhedral dice.



I feel that I need to add the movie Astropia for honorable mention.  I watched this on Netflix one night.  The best way to describe it is that it is an Icelandic romantic comedy where a girl ends up taking a job in a game store and finds true love in a D&D group. Definitely a movie I never thought would ever exist!