Friday, January 3, 2014

The Year in Comics

Collecting comics is one of my other geek loves.  I have bought many comics this year; some have been good while others have been meh.  There are a few books that stand out.


Red Sonja, published by Dynamite.  Writing by Gail Simone and art by Walter Geovani.  


I picked up this series because I am a huge fan of Gail Simone.  Her run on Birds of Prey made me give a hoot about a gang of DC b-list heroes.  I was curious as to how she would tackle a character who was mainly famous for wearing a chainmail bikini.  The series is smart swords and sorcery.  It has good art, goood action, and good writing.


Future Foundation, published by Marvel.  Writing by Matt Fraction and art by Mike Alred.


I picked up this series because one of my favorite Marvel heroes was going to be on the team (She-Hulk!)  Mike Alred’s art has a great silver age meets Raw magazine feel.  The storyline is comic and lighthearted.  The Fantastic Four have disappeared and have left a replacement team to look after the Baxter Building.  What I like most about this series is that it is not afraid to be funny. I think Marvel comics are best when they use liberal doses of humor.


Ghost, published by Dark Horse.  Writing by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Chris Sebela and art by Ryan Sook.


I picked up issue one and I will definitely be adding this series to my pull list.  This has a superhero meets supernatural vibe that makes me want to run a Call of Cthulhu+Mutants and Masterminds game.


My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, published by IDW.  Writing by Katie Cook and art by Andy Price.


I don’t read this one.  Honestly, I don’t.  My daughter is crazy for it.  This series is great because my wife and daughter are just as excited for my trips to the comic store as I am.  My daughter has so many issues I’ll be needing to buy her a longbox.


Back Issues


2013 was officially the year of the back issue.  I picked up some cheap comics at a used book store and was hit by a wave of nostalgia and zany writing.  For example, I did not know that the Fantastic Four ran into a girl named Valeria Von Doom who claimed to be the daughter of Dr. Doom and Sue Storm!  I have now been spending more time searching for older comics than following the new stuff that is coming out.  I am trying to collect the full run of Marvel’s Rom: Space Knight.  I am also picking up first appearances of certain characters, such as DC’s Captain Carrot.  I have been gaining inspiration for my Pathfinder game from old Marvel Conan comics.  Back issues have been filling a need in my comic reading habits.


What’s up for comics in 2014?  I’ll keep raiding the back issue bins but I am also curious about the Honor Harrington graphic novels.  Keep reading and Excelsior!